I have another whoopie for you! I also have some super exciting news, but more about that later…
My mom, after trying the pumpkin buttercream whoopies from yesterday, said Maren, I have the perfect cookie for your next Whoopie! My mom grew up on a small corn and bean farm in rural Illinois. The nearest neighbor lived a quarter of a mile away and they had no children. With no sisters or neighbors her age my mom spent a lot of time alone, or playing with her dog. But she always has stories about the older couple that lived across the street almost 400 yards away.
Hannah would make these cookies especially for my mom because she loved them. They have a little spice but basically taste like an amazing sugar cookie. My mom thought of them because they get pillowy, my number 1 criteria for whoopie cookies.
Boy did they make a good whoopie, especially with a sweet-spicy buttercream. These received just as good of reviews as the pumpkin.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Cream together butter and sugars. Add eggs, vanilla and buttermilk. Mix until well combined, no lumps.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder and soda, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, in 2 to 3 batches and mix well. Pipe onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes, mine are always 11 minutes. Makes 4 batches of 2inch in diameter cookies .
Look at those fluffy cookies! Perfect!
Honey Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
Mix together a stick butter, one box powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla (optional), 1 TBSP honey, 1/2 TBSP cinnamon.
I have an announcement. In exactly 10 days I will be selling my first baked goods! I’m a baker and my little secret idea is Sweet Enuf Bake Shop, my bakery that sells Whoopie Pies. I’m currently working out of my kitchen and getting hired by my family for various events but I actually have a real gig next weekend.
I’ve been thinking about opening a bakery for a while now with my Dad, the entrepreneur. We’re not opening a bakery anytime soon, but I am going to be selling my baked goods at our high school basketball games this winter. Then once the season ends we will be purchasing a booth at the Farmers Market on Saturday mornings. All in hopes of getting my name out there and seeing if my little idea takes off. I’m really nervous, once I set up on Thursday I’m officially Out There and there’s no turning back no matter what happens.
Sweet Enuf Bake Shop
I’m making Whoopie Pies! Yep, and pumpkin buttercream was my first official flavor. I have ideas and tests of so many fun flavors
- red velvet with cream cheese, in process
- sugar with chocolate buttercream
- chocolate with peanut butter frosting
- basic chocolate with buttercream
- pumpkin with buttercream, final
- gingerbread with cream cheese, in process
- chocolate with peppermint buttercream with red sprinkles, in process
- Hannah’s Cookie Whoopies with honey cinnamon buttercream, today’s creation made it to the final list.
At the game this weekend I’ll be selling Red Velvet with cream cheese frosting,The Original chocolate with buttercream frosting, and Hannah’s which is Hannah’s Cookies with honey cinnamon buttercream frosting. I’ll be posting recipes and frostings for the next two weeks. So get ready for some Winter Whoopie Fun!
I’m so excited and have so much to do!
Here’s my Gigantic-Scary list:
1) buy at least 3 more large piping bags for batter and frostings, seriously consider investing in another SILPAT since we have 2 ovens.
2) find a way to carry massive amounts of Whoopies from my car to venue.
3) buy small brown paper bags for sold goods. I’m actually looking into bulk! So cool.
4) finish logo design
5) buy labels and print logo on them
5.5) then put them on brown paper bags.
6) finish business card design and print ~100
7) create and print a sign
8 ) create a price sheet with flavors and sizes then print
I know this sounds kind of serious for something like a basketball tournament weekend but I really want to start getting my name and my whoopies out there. So I want to have my name on my bags and signs so I look official. I can’t wait to show all my blog friends my logo and business cards. Pictures coming as soon as they’re done.
I’ll be blogging about everything and you can read everything Whoopie and Sweet Enuf by clicking the Sweet Enuf Project tab in my nav bar!
I’m so excited! and secretly nervous.