Happy National Margarita Day! Like usual, I didn’t know it was a special ‘national food day’ until like 2pm this afternoon. I saw a text message on my phone from my Mom saying:
I am assuming you saw it’s national margarita day- I just saw it on the internet and figured you wud be blogging about a margarita twist.
Oh Mama- you know me so well.
Before I’d even finished reading her text I was in the Wrangler driving to Bev Mo. Get Ready. This margarita is NOT for the weak. It’s really Really REALLY spicy!! We do not mess around with the term spice on this blog.
- 2 oz Reposado Tequila
- 1 roasted jalapeno
- 1 lime wedge (for salting the rim)
- (3 oz Sweet and Sour Mix )
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- Start by heating the sugar and water on the stove. Once boiling remove from the heat and let cool in a bowl in the freezer.
- Heat a grill, indoor grill pan or a saute pan over medium-high heat. Heat the jalapeno on the grill until the skin is blistered and a little wrinkly. Remove from the heat and slice into rings.
- Remove the sugar/water mixture from the freezer and add the lemon and lime juice. Mix well.
- Into a cocktail shaker add the sweet and sour mix, tequila and 2 jalapeno rings. Muddle and add a handful of ice. Shake it like a Polaroid picture!!
- Pour into a rim salted glass and serve.
- Muddle less for a more mild flavored rita.
- Strain the jalapeno through the top of the cocktail shaker for easy drinking.
It would not be a good idea to add the cayenne simple syrup from this recipe to this margarita. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Happy National Margarita Day!!